This Braised Beef recipe is an absolute delight and has become an unrivaled favorite in my collection of casserole dishes
Calories: Approximately 300-400 calories per serving
Protein: Approximately 25-35 grams
Carbohydrates: Approximately 15-20 grams
Fat: Approximately 10-15 grams
Fiber: Approximately 4-6 grams
- 500g lean beef, such as braising steak, trimmed of visible fat
- Low-calorie cooking spray
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 2 celery stalks, sliced
- 200g mushrooms, sliced
- 400g canned chopped tomatoes
- 400ml beef stock (made with a stock cube)
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- 2 bay leaves
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Fresh parsley, chopped (for garnish)
- Preheat the oven to 160°C (320°F).
- Cut the lean beef into bite-sized chunks and season with salt and pepper.
- Spray a large oven-safe casserole dish with low-calorie cooking spray and place it over medium-high heat.
- Brown the beef in batches, transferring each batch to a plate once browned.
- In the same casserole dish, add the diced onion, minced garlic, sliced carrots, sliced celery, and sliced mushrooms. Cook for about 5 minutes until they begin to soften.
- Return the browned beef to the casserole dish.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, beef stock, tomato puree, and bay leaves. Stir well to combine.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer, then cover the casserole dish with a lid.
- Transfer the dish to the preheated oven and cook for approximately 2 to 2.5 hours, or until the beef is tender and the flavors have melded together.
- Check the seasoning and adjust with salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve the braised beef hot, garnished with fresh chopped parsley.
*suitable for freezing